As part of a structured, non-degree program, the Faculty of Veterinary Science offers junior veterinarians the opportunity to gain advanced experience in either Small Animal Medicine, Small Animal Surgery or Diagnostic Imaging.
Please apply today if you wish to further your knowledge and skills in a facility with excellent facilities and challenging and rewarding cases.
The University of Pretoria Faculty of Veterinary Science Internship
As an intern, you will have a unique opportunity to work alongside our highly skilled teams and specialists at the forefront of veterinary medicine. Those seeking specializations have the opportunity to experience the specialist environment in which the MMedVet degree is completed through the intern programme.
Internship positions are available for either of the following:
- The medical care of small animals
- Surgical treatment for small animals
- Image diagnostics.
In addition to participating in the following areas, the successful candidate will also:
- Under the guidance of Faculty Specialists, provide clinical services and administrative responsibilities within the specific discipline of the Onderstepoort Veterinary Academic Hospital (OVAH),
- On a rotational basis, participate in after-hours work (weekdays and weekends) and/or community clinical activities at OVAH and/or satellite facilities for exposure to community, trauma, and emergency medicine;
- Provide clinical services to undergraduate veterinary and veterinary nursing students, including supervision of clinical procedures;
- Experience clinical rounds and other research activities as an introduction to the MMedVet program’s research requirements;
- As a prospective specialist, participate in an intern mentorship program.
- A degree in veterinary science or a degree in veterinary medicine or a qualification equivalent to these;
- SAVC registration;
- An acknowledged clinical expertise;
- Knowledge of the subject matter required for the job.
Required Competencies (Skills, Knowledge and Behavioural Attributes)
- Communication and language skills that are appropriate;
- A good sense of interpersonal relationships;
- An understanding of Windows, MS Office, and the internet;
- After-hours availability is available.
Added Advantages and Preferences
- The commitment to further academic development.
- The selection process may involve relevant skills assessments for all shortlisted candidates.
- This contract position will be remunerated at an annual rate of R300,108.
- Applications must be submitted online using the reference number provided.
- Please include the following with your application:
- Your clinic preference letter;
- An extensive CV;
- Qualifications and registration with SAVC;
- Three referees whose names, e-mail addresses, and telephone numbers are available to us.
- There will be no consideration of applications after the closing date or if they do not meet the minimum requirements.
- Enquiries related to job content:
- She can be reached at Vanessa.Mcclure@up.ac.za (Small animal medicine)
- [email protected] Prof. Gerhard Steenkamp (Small Animal Surgery)
- [email protected] • Nicolene Hoepner (Diagnostic imaging)
- Contact Ms Bernice Nyathela (HR) at [email protected] for other inquiries
We regret to inform you that your application for admission to the University of Pretoria has been unsuccessful if you have not heard from us by 25 July 2023.
Closing Date: 25 May 2023