Join Transnet Marine Services as a General Purpose Crew Member. Transnet is currently seeking qualified individuals to apply for the position of General Purpose Rating – Port Ops. This is a fixed-term contract opportunity with an application deadline of October 20, 2023.
- Position Title: General Purpose Rating – Port Ops
- Department: Marine Services
- Reporting to: Manager – Marine Operations
- Location: Saldanha
- Reference Number: 10298037
Transnet SOC Ltd is a prominent South African rail, port, and pipeline company headquartered in the Carlton Centre, Johannesburg. Established as a limited company on April 1, 1990, the majority of its stock is owned by the Department of Public Enterprises (DPE) of the South African government.
Join Transnet Marine Services as a General Purpose Crew Member
The General Purpose Crew Members will serve as essential crew on various marine vessels operating within port operations. Their responsibilities include safe handling of equipment, maintenance duties, and ensuring the delivery of professional marine fleet services.
Key Duties and Responsibilities
- Safely and efficiently handle ropes, wires, winches, capstans, and other deck equipment during shipping operations.
- Perform maintenance duties on deck and in the engine room, including general cleaning and housekeeping for a safe and reliable marine fleet service.
- Assist the Chief Marine Engineer as required, including engine room tasks and equipment maintenance.
- Maintain and repair craft equipment, including cleaning, painting, de-rusting, and fender repairs.
- Ensure hygienic conditions in domestic areas, such as cabins, accommodation, heads, and galley.
- Perform splicing of ropes and wires and making heaving lines.
- Conduct routine testing of deck equipment under supervision.
- Participate in emergency drills and safety procedures.
- Perform jumping duties (when safe), moor/unmoor vessels alongside, and assist with safe access to the vessel.
- Follow safe working instructions and report non-conformances to vessel officers.
- Execute instructions from vessel officers for the vessel’s safe and efficient operation.
- Store equipment in designated areas to ensure vessel safety.
- Dispose of waste in designated areas/bins.
- Perform bridge lookout duties when the craft is underway.
- Provide supervision and training when necessary to promote continuous skills development and teamwork.
- Ensure relevant qualifications are valid and readily available.
- Promote safety and well-being culture onboard the vessel.
- Understand and act upon emergency signals.
- Conduct fire patrols and report accordingly.
Qualifications and Experience
- Certificate of Proficiency as a General Purpose Rating
- 6-12 months of experience in marine operations
Skills and Competencies
- Tolerance of ambiguity
- Attention to detail
- Appreciation of diversity
- Service orientation
- Team player
- Passion for the marine industry
- Knowledge of deck and engine room working practices
- Understanding of General Purpose Rating duties
- Safety consciousness and awareness of safe working practices
- Capable of using own initiative
- Conflict resolution skills
- Client service orientation
- Familiarity with shift systems
- Understanding of risk and occupational safety
- Knowledge of training and certification regulations
- Knowledge of SAMSA port marine-related legislation
- Awareness of ISO9001/2008 standards
- Familiarity with emergency procedures on crafts
- Knowledge of marine operation service delivery mandate
- Maintenance practices
- Change management
- Building relationships
- Skills transfer
How to Apply
To apply for this job vacancy, click on the “APPLY HERE” button below this post, which will take you to the Transnet careers portal. Ensure that your application is received by HR before the closing date.
Note: If you do not receive a response within 30 days of the closing date, consider your application unsuccessful. For inquiries about the application or recruitment process, contact [email protected]. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted.